About Me

My photo
I'm what I call a "Double D," a Do-Able Do-It-All. A modern day wife and mother. I'm a well-educated, well-dressed, and of course, well-fed stay-at-home-mom to our nearly two-year-old daughter. I run our household and run an in-home daycare, all while maintaining respectable MILF status (which sometimes includes more running). Before I was a DD, I had hopes of sharing my pre-baby sitcom life with the world in a memoir. Instead, I am now hopping on this technological train of blogging to introduce women to the notion of knights in twinkling, but not shining, armor. Start with Lesson 1 and trudge on through. I hope you find my love, my hubbs, and my life lessons as random and refreshing as I do.

Lesson 1: Shoot for the Moon

So, I'm sitting on my couch in my smallish apartment in Bettendorf, Iowa on a regular kind of Thursday night. It's 5:10 pm. Nathan's at work. I'm watching CMT. I know what you're thinking...she listens to country? Maybe not your style then? Give me a whirl anyway. I'm full of surprises.

Back to country music. I find it inspiring. In fact, it inspired me just this minute to actually quit thinking about writing and grab a flippin' pen and get it done. Here I am. Lettin' it rip.

Upon this very couch in my smallish apartment in Bettendorf, Iowa on another kind of regular weekday night, I asked my newlywed husband, "Can I write about you?" And he goes, "Sure," with a shrug. Permission. Motivation. Fruition.

So, why him? Why me? Why now? Okay, we'll handle this with a list. I love lists. You'll learn that. Helps keep me on track; you'll soon find this can be quite difficult for me. Now, back to that list:

1.) Why him?

Obviously, I'm biased. I married him, so I must be nuts about the guy. With that said, in my heart of hearts, I know he's different and most people that have met him say the same. You know how people will say, "So-and-so really has a spark to him?" Well, Nathan doesn't quite have a spark. He rather...twinkles. Yeah. Think about that.

2.) Why me?

I love to write and need to do it more. I think about doing it a lot. I decided to live in the now and just start doing it. Thus far, I find it relaxing, another thing that can be quite difficult for me.

3.) Why now?

Many reasons. How about a list within a list?!?!?! Oooooo!!!!!!

A. To prove to myself that I CAN set a goal and achieve it. I've wanted to write something since high school. I even gave it a shot in fourth grade, but spent about a page describing my heroine's shoes. I needed time to grow as a writer!

B. In four days, Nathan and I will have been married for one year. Yep. I've been doing a bunch of corny reminiscing lately. There's no doubt in my mind that we will be together in fifty years, shriveled and smiling. Wouldn't it be a hoot to read something like this then?

C. The best way to put it is that I often feel like my life is a sitcom. I suppose I'm looking for affirmation from you, Unknown Reader, that it is, in fact, like a sitcom.

D. I will graduate with my Masters of Social Work degree this May. I love social work. I think it is important. However, word on the street is it's hard work that burns you out, real quick like. Doesn't sound too tempting, huh? So, in a perfect world, I'd write and do social work part-time. Actually, in a REALLY perfect world, I'd write part-time all the time. Isn't there some lame saying..."Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll end up in the stars." Do you know what I'm talking about? Anyhoo, I'm shooting for the moon.

A few warnings:

1.) I write how I would talk with some convenient thinking pauses; so it actually comes out how I'd really like it to if I could take time for my brain to process some of the thoughts that come out of my mouth. Quickly. Often without warning.

2.) I babble. See above.

3.) I'm blunt.

So, grab a cup of coffee, spot of tea, or bottle of beer. Kick back and enjoy. I hope you find my love, my Nathan, and my life lessons as random and refreshing as I do.






No comments: